Monday, April 22, 2013

A Morning at the Peacock Tea Room


This past Saturday, me and Mr. Fleam journeyed to the Georgia Renaissance Faire for the day.  It was a perfect day; low temperatures and low crowds and as a bonus, it was bring your pet weekend.  There were puppies everywhere!  I also have the rare pleasure to spend several hours with my lovely, dearest Indigo La Rue and family!

One of the things I look forward too on our Renn Faire days is a visit to the Peacock Tea Room.  This visit was no exception.  We entered the fair and walked to the back and up the hill to the tea room.  While we were not pleased with the first table they showed us, they quickly changed the seating an we were given a fabulous table with an excellent King's Hall Stage view.


Since we knew we would be in the tea room for a while, along with the fact that Mr. Fleam can drink his weight in hot tea, we ordered the large pot of Earl Grey (abt. 10 cups).


 I have devoted many, many hours to perfecting my scones so I was excited to try the scones on the menu.  Mr. Fleam and I both ordered a scones plate.  This included two scones, one raspberry and one sweet (plain), a choice of Raspberry Jam or Orange Marmalade and a dollop of house-made Devon Cream.

I would not call what arrived at the table scones.  Please do not misunderstand, they were divine.  They had a "thick" cookie look - what I would call Tea Cakes.  The outside was like a cookie and the inside was an absolutely delicious cake texture.  The Raspberry Jam was incredibly sweet by itself but paired perfectly with  the Devon Cream.  Speaking of the Devon Cream, I took several dedicated tastes to see if I could determine the combination.  While this is a guess, I believe it was an unsweetened whipped cream with cream cheese base.  It was good.  I'm not the biggest Devon Cream fan, it is a texture thing for me.


We enjoyed our time waiting for Ms. La Rue and watched several shows.  After the scones, we decided to try the cheese plate.  The plate included a cucumber/basil soft cheese that was good.  The plate came with a Bacon Chutney, which is OK if you eat pork.  I do not.   It was a typical cheese plate, enjoyable but nothing exceptional.

Once Ms. LaRue and Family arrived, we ordered the Lemon Trifle with four spoons.  The waitress asked if we wanted a splash of rum or something else (Brandy, Whiskey?  I don't remember).  Any how, we requested Rum.  I know, real surprise there!  Well, when she served it, she told us that the Chef usually does not put Rum on the Trifle but did this time as a special favor for us.  While I appreciate the favor and it was delicious, please do not try to make it sound like it was a special request after it was offered as a choice from the wait staff.  That was annoying.

Overall, it was a fabulous visit.  I will be going back again!

No comments:

Post a Comment